Riviera Maya

For Christmas break this year, I spent 5 days in the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico with Chris. It was the first time I have been down to see him in Central America since he started working there. I immediately reaped the benefits. The first night there he took me to an awesome local little restaurant and we had chorizo y queso tacos. I wish I could recreate those here!

Originally I thought we were going to stay in Cancun but we decided to stay in Playa del Carmen instead which was such a great choice. After a wild night celebrating my new job contract which involved fire dancers and liters of Long Island iced teas, we were ready to start exploring. Our hostel room had a private balcony overlooking the Gulf which was insanely beautiful. Playa is such a cute little beach town with awesome cafes and shopping (I bought a Panama hat and sarong).

Swimming near the Tulum ruins

Chris took me to Tulum which was one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen!
We were also lucky enough to get into the Coco Bongo club for free one night. It was an open bar and the inside was nothing what we expected. There are two stages and trapeze artists above you. They had impersonators, dancers, acrobats, and musicians reenacting scenes from the Mask, Moulin Rouge, Beetlejuice, Phantom of the Opera, Madonna, Beyonce, Guns N Roses, Passion of the Christ, and about a million other pop culture references. It was a wild experience.

Prettiest view ever in Cozumel

My favorite day was when Chris and I rode a ferry boat out to Cozumel, rented a scooter and worked our way around the island. We stopped at some different bars, private beaches, and managed to not crash! All in all, while the Mexican coast on the Gulf did remind me of home and I saw a few too many iguanas, it was a lot more undeveloped and natural. The air smelled fresh and the sun was bright every day, perfect way to start winter break.




Side Note: The job contract we were celebrating is in Quito, Ecuador. I signed a two year job contract with Colegio Americano de Quito teaching 7th grade Humanities. Can't wait to move to South America in August, but I will have 4 months free next summer beforehand. Discussions of finding a studio with some friends in Brooklyn are in order, as are talks of moving to Santiago or Antigua for the summer and teaching English. It's too early to tell where I am going to end up next summer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scopolamine: AKA Fairy Dust or Zombie Drug

A White Girl in Hong Kong