Halloween in Quito

There have been all sorts of Halloween festivities, despite the President speaking out publicly against celebrating this "American" holiday. Then again, I teach at Colegio Americano where many of the students have at least one American parent who want their child to grow up with both Ecuadorian and American culture.

It started last weekend, when the teachers celebrated Halloween, because most people will be out of town this long weekend. A bunch of the teachers went together as the gang of Clue. My roommate and I worked really hard on her Clue game board costume; it even came with the confidential envelope where people could leave her secret notes. For living in a city with no thrift shops or Goodwills, they did an amazing job! Every character paid so much attention to detail. I had my own diabolical costume planned and in the works. The hosts of the party pulled off an amazing Wayne and Garth, and the award for best costume went to Animal from the Muppets. I was pretty amazed at how into it everyone was.


 Laura and I spent hours creating an authentic Clue game board for her to wear

The entire gang of Clue:
Mrs. White, Mrs. Peacock, Colonel Mustard, Professor Plum, Board, Reverend Green, Scarlet


I invited some of my Ecuadorian friends to see the crazy white people in costumes. Pablo let me dress him up like a sad clown, and said he doesn't normally have fun dressing up in costume, but this was an exception.

 My creepy ass costume


I did both of our awesome make up jobs!


My school really went all out to celebrate Halloween as well. On Thursday they gave everyone free colada morada and guaguas, which are traditional foods for the season. Colada morada is a hot blackberry juice drink with chunks of fruit in it. Guaguas are little loaves of bread shaped like people, and can be stuffed with blackberry sauce or nutella, or nothing at all!

  
Colada Morado and Guaguas!

Our school also had a Halloween party that I had the privilege of chaperoning last night. Security was intense because many of our students and their parents are prominent people in society. School dances here are completely different than in the United States. Each grade level had a theme, and the kids dress up in groups within their theme. Each group has a choreographed dance they perform for the rest of the school. It was more like a 4 hour long dance recital than any school dance that I am used to. The parents get the costumes custom designed and I felt like I was on a movie set. The special effects and decorations were anything but hokey. My favorite was the seventh graders, their theme was Shrek. The kids were divided into packs of Shrek, Fiona, Donkey, Rumpelstiltskin, and Puss in Boots. Ninth graders tacked the Video Music Awards, so there were tons of Nikki Minaj, Beyonce, Justin Bieber, Rihanna, and Lady Gagas running around.

 The Halloween dance party at school!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scopolamine: AKA Fairy Dust or Zombie Drug

A White Girl in Hong Kong