Keeping Busy

I try to keep busy in Quito, although I am having a bit of a slow week. Normally, I have belly dance class and Spanish class each week, as well as school functions or trips around the country.
I've been killing my downtime lately watching Six Feet Under. It's so surprisingly quirky, deep, and artistic. When I finish all 5 seasons, I am going to tackle The Sopranos next.


I recently finished Jonathan Franzen's Freedom. That book left me emotional for days and I am still trying to process everything that I experienced while reading it.


When I finished Freedom, I basically inhaled The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot. It seemed relevant considering all the North Carolina eugenics scandals coming to light in this last month or so. Strange how medicine and science have so much potential for good, but can be abused so easily...



I am currently reading Susanna Clarke's Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. It is a book about 19th century English magicians, and funny enough, she writes like a 19th century English magician. What would the Napoleonic Wars have looked like with magicians on England's side? You will have to read to find out..


As soon as I finish this book, next up is Murakami's new 1Q84. I am excited for his ambiguous surrealism already.

Comments

  1. I've been wanting to read The Immortal Life... is it worth the go?

    ReplyDelete
  2. heck yes! It will stick with you after you finish reading it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Scopolamine: AKA Fairy Dust or Zombie Drug

A White Girl in Hong Kong