A Week of School Lunch

Lunch is the biggest meal of the day in Ecuador. I tend to eat a lot at school and then I eat a small dinner at home. Teaching in the U.S. I always had to pack a lunch because school lunch made me lose my appetite. Then again, I do teach at a private school that can afford to have good food. The students' parents would expect that from the school.

My school completely redid their cafeteria this year, and I have to say, it's awesome. We have a snack bar (nachos, donuts, sushi, etc.), a sandwich bar, salad bar, and a full hot lunch. The hot lunch is 2.25 (maybe 2.50...) and it comes with juice, soup, a main entree, rice, a side, salad, and desert. The juices are always fresh squeezed. It is normally traditional Ecuadorian food although sometimes they will have lasagna or hamburger patties. My roommate once accidentally ordered guatita (stomach) and I didn't tell her until about one second before she took a bite. Classic. There are always two meat options, and about half way through these photos I decided to go pescetarian, so there is a lot of trout.

Salad Bar sampler- zucchini, cabbage, tomato, avocado, cabbage

Trout, lentils, creamy soup with popcorn for dipping

This is either turkey or pork, I can't remember! The mote and soup were awesome.

Turkey with a fried mashed potato ball

Vegetarian Plate- Rice, Salad, Yuca, Cantaloupe, Soup

Grilled trout, carrot salad,  berry cake


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scopolamine: AKA Fairy Dust or Zombie Drug

A White Girl in Hong Kong