Sick in Ecuador

Getting sick in Ecuador is sooo much easier to deal with than in the United States (minus the fact that my mom is not here to take care of me).
I had a cold about two weeks ago and lost my voice and have been slowly getting better so I never bothered to see a doctor or take medicine. In the last couple of days it got a lot worse and my sinuses now feel like they are going to explode. I finally sucked it up and went to see the school nurse today who told me in about two seconds that I have a sinus infection. She wrote down the name of some antibiotics, I went straight to a pharmacy, paid 10 bucks for two types of medicine and Vitamin C, and that was that.
This is pretty much how it goes, if you can figure out what you have, you don't need a prescription. Just go to a pharmacy and tell the pharmacist your symptoms.
Medicine is so ridiculously cheap here compared to the U.S., and I love that I don't have to go to the doctor for every little thing.
Also, something I noticed today that I thought was great: the first recommendation the school nurse gave for my cold and sinus infection was to eat a lot of fruit. She told me to eat fruits non stop all weekend and drink fruit juice. I have never had a doctor in the States take food into consideration. What a great concept.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scopolamine: AKA Fairy Dust or Zombie Drug

A White Girl in Hong Kong