3 Months Left in Quito

I went to my favorite bar/dance club this weekend with a group of my friends to celebrate a birthday. My Ecuadorian friend asked me how I would describe my time here in Ecuador, and said I wasn't allowed to say 'amazing' or 'life-changing,' because, duh. I had to really think about this.

Now that I am down to my last three months in Ecuador, I have been doing a lot of reflecting. It's obvious I never really fully assimilated here, in part because my community and network of friends is so amazing. Not that there is a great expat scene in Quito, it just so happens that I have a really close knit group of coworkers and friends.

I don't regret not totally immersing myself for a few reasons. I did become a part of something here, through the organization I volunteered with, my job at a local private school, and my dance studio. Especially my dance studio. I also travelled to over ten cities and learned Spanish.

Back to my friend's question. How would I describe my time in Ecuador? There are two responses I had to this.

1. I became more laid-back.
2. I grew into a stronger person. 

There you have it.

I've spent the last couple of years living, traveling, working, and volunteering in Latin America. I went to Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, and Argentina. There is still so much more to see and do here, but this chapter of my life is closing and when I come back someday, I will be in a different position. Maybe I will have money to do a wine tour in Mendoza and visit the Galapagos Islands. Maybe I will still be a broke backpacker sleeping in cheap hostels and/or tiki huts on the beach.

I don't have to say goodbye yet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scopolamine: AKA Fairy Dust or Zombie Drug

A White Girl in Hong Kong