Janelle Monáe's New Single!!!

GIRL POWER!! I love strong female vocalists and musicians. Jenny Lewis, Neko Case, Karen O, Sharon van Etten, Emily Haines, Lily Allen and Laura Marling are pretty much in constant rotation on my iPod, to name a few.

But my favorite female musician is hands down Janelle Monáe. I remember listening to her first EP, Metropolis Suite 1, back in 2007 and falling in love immediately. Her next album, ArchAndroid came out in 2010 and that was the year I got to see her in concert twice!

When I saw her perform in New Orleans, some of her entourage noticed me in the front of the audience singing my heart out and invited me backstage to her tent after the show to interview her, which only made me respect her as an artist even more. She creates comic books to go along with her sci-fi themed albums, dances like no one businesses, and never falls back on sex appeal to sell her music. Janelle Monáe's music is about the music. No, I did not have a camera to document that wonderful event.

It has been years she she has come out with anything new (other than singing the background vocals on fun.'s single 'We Are Young') so when I saw she has a new single, I was so freaking excited. Here is her new music video, along with some of my other favorites:



Q.U.E.E.N., Janelle Monáe's new single

I love the funk feel of this song, and how it just oozes style. Also, Janelle's rap at the end left me seriously impressed. The only thing that could have made this better for me would be if she tap danced like she does in some of her other videos!

Cold War, my favorite song of Janelle Monáe's


Tightrope, my favorite music video of hers

Seriously, what an inspirational role model for young girls and boys everywhere. Plus, she just plain rocks. Hope you enjoy Janelle Monáe as much as I do! Q.U.E.E.N. will be playing on repeat in my house this weekend!

Comments

  1. Carrying the torch of feminism is important. Knowing the definition of feminism is one thing, but actually understanding and practicing it is quite another. To proclaim to be a feminist partly means to carry yourself in a way, as a woman, that is above reproach at times. Your actions play a great deal in who you are and how your are perceived and they speak to your character. Feminism, at the end of the day, is a lot about character.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Scopolamine: AKA Fairy Dust or Zombie Drug

A White Girl in Hong Kong