It's Time To Go

I have ten days left in Quito. For the first year and a half I lived here, all was well. I experienced little to no culture shock and had a blast exploring the cities and countryside of this beautiful country. 

This spring, however, I've wanted out. I would say I am at a level of cultural exhaustion I never thought I could experience. I'm home sick, which for anyone who knows me, me craving Florida has got to be a desperate situation!

  • I'm sick of walking around with my coin purse in one bra cup and my phone in the other
  • I'm sick of being objectified every time I leave the house, even in sweatpants
  • I'm sick of fighting with taxi drivers every time we arrive at my destination because I refuse to pay the inflated gringo price
  • I'm sick of stores and restaurants not actually having the services/food they claim to provide (no hay!)
  • I'm sick of being thankful I wasn't robbed every time I walk through the front door
  • I'm sick of "Ecua-stomach" (diarrhea), constantly
  • I'm sick of living at 10,000 feet and always being on the brink of an asthma attack
  • I'm sick of wifi and data plans not working half the time
  • I'm sick of stores/restaurants never being open when they say they will be
  • I'm sick of being too emotionally exhausted by a place to bother leaving my apartment
  • I'm sick of fearing that I have permanently become a paranoid, unfriendly bitch


That all being said, I am going to miss my people a lot, but it is really time for me to be on my way. I don't appreciate Ecuador anymore like I used to, and I'm not living life to the fullest. This was a rough spring- there were some disagreeable changes to my school calendar and I had a lot of health issues (which I've finally sorted out, thank goodness), which didn't make this any easier. When I am on that plane to Florida next Sunday, I know I will be looking forward and not back.


Just so you all don't think I'm a total ungrateful shithead, here are some blog posts I've written about how great Ecuador can be:









You can't miss the cloud forest in Ecuador


If you think I am being unfair and you disagree with this blog post, well, get your own stinkin' blog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scopolamine: AKA Fairy Dust or Zombie Drug

A White Girl in Hong Kong