Hong Kong Observations, Week 1

I have been in Hong Kong one full week now, and my heart feels like it is going to explode with love for this city. All of my stuff is in my apartment now, and I just need to unpack, relax, and settle into the flow and routine of my life here.

I have a lot of unpacking to do

Here are my initial observations of Hong Kong so far:

1. No one has anything really bad to say about the city. I've heard if you leave your iPhone on the bar, someone might take it. Duh. Also, someone has complained that it's hard to leave Hong Kong and go anywhere else because we live in such a safe little bubble, but that's not really a complaint against Hong Kong.

2. There is a thing called "finder's theft" here. If you find money, you cannot keep it. In fact, it is a crime. So if you see a wad of cash in an ATM, on the sidewalk, on a restaurant table, either give it to the police or ignore it. If you lose your wallet here, chances are it will get mailed to you within a month.

3. For a bitchin' hot city, there is not a lot of central air conditioning. Instead, there are the a.c. wall units. They are loud, but I am used to it from my apartment in Tallahassee. The a.c. reaches everywhere in my apartment but the bathroom; it can get stuffy in there.

Escaping the heat with a friend for some afternoon coffees

4. I can act on every whim here. Whatever I want, I can get, and almost immediately. I've gotten used to really wanting something and just expecting that the store/restaurant that has it probably will either be out, or will be closed. Not the case here.

5. Everyone stares at screens, all the time.

Everyone on the MTR stares at their phones

6. I shouldn't have brought anything technological with me. Not only are speakers cheaper here, but now I have to go to a computer warehouse and find a power converter to step down the voltage from 220 to 110. Simple adapters won't work here. I used a basic adapter for my BlackBerry charger and it fried the battery in my phone. Just buy whatever electronics you want when you get here. Don't bother bringing your chargers with an adapter- that won't work because the voltage is different.

7. There are lots of rules, but it doesn't seem restrictive. I'm going to miss the chaos and lawlessness of Ecuador sometimes, but I like order and efficiency and punctuality, so I think Hong Kong is a much better fit for my personality type.

MTR is clean and easy to use

MTR stations are very well kept

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scopolamine: AKA Fairy Dust or Zombie Drug

A White Girl in Hong Kong