My Hong Kong Apartment in Sheung Wan
My apartment story in Hong Kong is CRAZY.
I saw one apartment, fell in love, and cancelled all other appointments with real estate agents and signed a lease with the first and only apartment I toured in Hong Kong.
My building in Sheung Wan- it's pink!
This is super rare. As soon as I walked in the door, I felt at home and didn't want to leave. I knew in my gut, 'this is your Hong Kong home.'
Three websites I used to find my apartment:
The apartment was being rented out as a short term rental, but because I was willing to sign a year contract, I got a $220 monthly discount on the rent. Because of its short term rental status, the apartment is already furnished, including pots, pans, linens, etc. AND I don't have to pay the agency fee AND I don't have to set up wifi and electricity and gas and all that. Too good to be true, right?
After I toured the apartment I didn't feel right signing a lease without having at least seen a few other places. So I went to a cafe and sat down and wrote a list of pros and cons. Except, I filled an entire sheet with a list of pros, and the ONLY con I could think of was 'only apartment I have seen in HK.' Looking at that list, I knew what I had to do. I texted the landlord saying, ' I want it!' and emailed all of the agents I had been in touch with canceling my appointments.
My 'pros' list of why I should take this apartment
A few of the features I love about my new home:
- It is in my price range
- There is an indoor swimming pool on the first floor
- Free wifi
- Everything included, like tv and microwave
- Pretty wood floors
- Cute layout, cute furniture
- Built in shelves and storage (super important for HK)
- 6 minute walk from the MTR station (I tested that)
- Full kitchen with oven (rare in Hong Kong)
- Spacious layout- same size as my Tally apartment, 560 sq. ft.
- Don't have to buy pots, pans, cutlery, whatnot
- One year lease instead of two
- Utilities good to go
- Exact location/neighborhood I wanted
- Quiet side street, couple blocks from busier city streets
- Space for my boyfriend when he comes
- Natural light and big windows
- Great vibes from the landlords
- Deep windowsills with cushions
- Pretty view of trees and city block
- No mold! Apartment is in great condition
- Completely move in ready
- Cozy, but not cramped at all
- Feeling in my gut that I am home
View of kitchen when you walk in
Full kitchen, small but has everything I need
and is open to the house, which is important
Living room- there is space for an air mattress for guests
Cute windowsill areas
I love my little city view- also, apartments
on lower floors like mine are cheaper
Bedroom- needing some style, but it is spacious
This area of the bedroom is where my
mat goes for pilates
Really nice shower
Indoor swimming pool on the first floor
I could go on and on and on and rave about this apartment, but I will end there. I will be living downtown, in Sheung Wan, just far south enough to be considered Soho (South of Hollywood). It's a fun neighborhood with lots of cafes, restaurants, boutiques, art galleries, bars, parks, etc. Here are some links to give you a feel for where I will be living: