Volunteering in Hong Kong

I have lots of opportunities for service through my job (teaching middle and high school) because our students need supervisors for a lot of the charity work they do. It is nice to branch out on my own and give back to the community as well though. This Sunday, I volunteered for Vision First, an organization that provides services to the refugee population in Hong Kong. The women's group makes knit handicrafts, and they needed people to work at Vision First's booth at an artisan market. The money goes back to the women, who are then able to use it to help support their families.

The international fair was set at the beautiful Harrow school

Me with some other volunteers at the Vision First booth

When I moved to Hong Kong, I reached out and emailed a few places saying if they ever needed a volunteer they could contact me, and I'm slowly building up relationships with some of the organizations around town I keep seeing at various service events. Interested in volunteering in Hong Kong? Here are some ideas:

  • Crossroads- this organization facilitates donations and distributions of second hand goods to people in need, amongst other things.
  • Plastic Free Seas- contact them to arrange a beach clean up!
  • Vision First- provide services to Hong Kong's refugee population.
  • Room to Read- an international group that promotes literacy and gender equality and always needs tutors.
  • Bethune House- a group focused on raising the quality of life for the helpers (migrant live-in nannys) of Hong Kong.

I will admit it, volunteering can be very selfish for me, in that it provides an almost therapeutic release. It's hard to watch the news and not feel guilty about having been born into relative privilege, and there is something always gnawing at me telling me to give back. So while I give back, I also receive a sense of purpose, and I better the community and myself at the same time. I don't know what the 'right' reasons are for volunteering, I just know I can't imagine my life without it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scopolamine: AKA Fairy Dust or Zombie Drug

A White Girl in Hong Kong