Being 26 Is Weird

I’m too old to wear a crochet croptop and neon plastic sunglasses and sit on a guy’s shoulders at a music festival. I have actually looked around at a club and realized I was one of the oldest people there. At 26, I’m in between. I’m not a university student and I’m not inclined to do body shots and getting chased by the police doesn’t sound exciting anymore. I’m not fresh out of university, looking for a job and crashing with friends and living with shitty roommates. But I’m also not quite at that point where my friends are starting to pop out babies left and right and buy houses.

The way I spend my money is slowly evolving as well. Instead of torrenting like a bandit I am starting to shell out cash for media consumption(tv shows, music, ebooks), because I understand the feeling of really working for your money now. Sometimes when I travel, I even stay in hotels (gasp!) rather than hostels.

I hear 27 is a big year? That it’s a year when a lot of people begin to feel like a sophisticated, responsible adults? I'm not sure about that yet, but I do know that being in the middle of your 20s is weird. When I go shopping, I actually wonder if certain clothes are age appropriate. Since when do I care what’s age appropriate?!

Ok, not everything has changed

In the last year or so, I have wanted more routine and stability. Even dating has been affected, because cute flaky artsy types aren’t going to cut it anymore if they can’t really be a partner and keep up with my ambitions and lofty life goals. Basically, I think about the future more. I think about the implications of my decisions on others and the role I play in my friends’ lives. I take my well-being more seriously. My career comes before socializing, something that would have been unfathomable a few years ago.

 Cheers to growing up with minimal kicking and screaming along the way.

Comments

  1. I had no idea you're only 26! I felt it was weird, too. I remember being a bit shaken up by almost not being in my mid twenties anymore...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Scopolamine: AKA Fairy Dust or Zombie Drug

A White Girl in Hong Kong