Bonkers for Bali

My American teacher counterparts are missing out on a little secret called October break. In Hong Kong, not only do we get TWO spring breaks (February and April), yes, we also get a week off in October for fall break. In the past I have gone to Thailand and Taiwan for this vacation, and this year I chose to go to the infamous island of Bali. I was expecting beautiful temples, serene landscapes, lazy beaches, flavorful food, and Bali did not disappoint!

The front door of a typical Balinese family compound

For the first part of my trip, I stayed in Sanur, a smaller resort town on the east coast of Bali. Four million people live in Bali and there are some bigger cities, but I wanted a more laid back approach so I avoided Seminyak, Kuta, and Denpasar. Sanur was more family friendly, but also more budget friendly. I had a private villa right next to the beach for about $25 USD a night at the Kesumasari Beach Hotel.
My patio where breakfast was served every morning

I used Sanur as my base to go scuba diving through Joe's Gone Diving. On our first dive in Padang Bay, we saw reef sharks and a sea turtle, and on a different dive later that day, we saw manta rays! The water was bitching cold so a second wetsuit would have been appreciated, but I was so distracted by the reefs and coral that it wasn't too bad.

Padang Bay was the launching point for some awesome dives

Sanur was a great little beach town. The food was slamming, it had a 5 kilometer path along the coast, and there was a plethora of quirky little cafes, restaurants, spas, and boutiques. This was not a party spot, but that was ok by me. Beachfront yoga at Power of Now Oasis was one of the highlights of the trip for me. After Sanur, I headed to Ubud, which will be my next post!

Can every yoga class be in a beachfront bamboo structure?

Luhtu's Coffee Shop on the beach was one of my favorite finds-
in part thanks to the unexpected company

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scopolamine: AKA Fairy Dust or Zombie Drug

A White Girl in Hong Kong