Exploring My City

Visitors can be exhausting. Playing tour guide can be a drag when you have work obligations and routines and everything goes out the window. You get home in the evening and just want to sink into the couch and watch Jessica Jones for the umpteenth time in your pjs.

BUT.

Every once in awhile someone comes along that reinvigorates you and inspires you to get out there and explore, renewing a sense of pride in your city and lifestyle. Seeing Hong Kong through that lens confirms what I already know deep down but mostly take for granted- this is a special place. And my guest was a special person.

Day 1 in Hong Kong- The Udderbelly Festival!

Hiking on the beautiful Dragon's Back trail

A good friend from Chicago came to visit recently, and what I thought was going to a fun weekend showing him around turned into 18 days crawling into the underbelly of this eclectic city.

Chili crab in the night market

We ate all the dumplings and noodles we could get our hands on

Australian circus? check. 2 AM reggae show on the dark side? check. Toy museum that smelled like cat piss? check. Sophisticated jazz concert? check. Island days and foot reflexology and rooftop drinks and mountain hikes? check check check check.

The bizarre ass toy museum of Yau Ma Tei

Evan has travelled onto Vietnam now, but his visit reinvigorated me and reminded me of everything I love about Hong Kong. I will probably be moving away from Hong Kong in the summer of 2017, but I’ve still got plenty of time to keep exploring the city and surrounding region.

Overcast day at Cheung Chau Island

The friendlist bridge troll there ever was

This spring, I have trips planned to El Nido, Nanjing, Taipei, and Beijing, and haven’t even decided where to go for spring break yet! Having Evan here got me so excited to hit the road. Bring it on, world!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scopolamine: AKA Fairy Dust or Zombie Drug

A White Girl in Hong Kong