Diving in Brunei

WOOT WOOT COUNTRY 40! Yep, you read that right, folks. I went to Brunei last week and it was my 40th country. Considering my goal was 30 countries by the age of 30, I think I'm doing pretty well for myself, a couple years ahead of schedule here. My travels are going to be slowing down in the near future though, as I'm Hong Kong based for the next 8 weeks until I go home to Florida for winter break.

On my recent dive trip to my 40th country- Brunei

I didn't see much of Brunei, to be honest. My goal was to complete two more advanced scuba diving specialities, so I wasn't too concerned with what was happening on land. After googling 'diving shipwrecks asia,' Brunei kept coming up as a place to go. Considering there are only two dive shops in the whole country, my choices were limited, and I quickly narrowed it down to Oceanic Quest Dive Shop.

Oceanic Quest Dive Shop

This company uses smaller boats for a more personal experience

The crew at Oceanic Quest goes above and beyond in making sure you are comfortable and having a dive experience to your liking. Every meal at the dive shop was a feast, and when I got sick one day, the shop owner even went to get me medicine while I was out on the boat. I don't have any underwater photos because I can't be bothered to worry about a camera when I am underwater. Trust me, I have a lot of photos in my memory that aren't going anywhere any time soon.

Bruneian food is super yummy

The living room at Oceanic Quest is great 
for lazing around after a long day of diving

Oceanic Quest Dive Shop is in a town called Muara, and it's quite isolated. A 30 minute drive from the main city, Bandar Seri Begawan, Muara feels residential and quiet. The only reason to go there would be to dive, and it is well worth the trip. The coast beyond Brunei has a handful of shipwrecks ranging from World War II to three years ago!

Ukeing it up between dives

Descending upon my first shipwreck rising out of the ocean floor was truly awe inspiring. I spent four days diving a bunch of different wrecks and reefs, and did my specialty certifications for Enriched Air and Wreck diving while I was there, along with many fun dives. Here are some detailed descriptions of the shipwrecks. There are more dive sites and wrecks that aren't listed in that article as well! Each wreck has its own personality, so you want a couple days to dive them all! Brunei isn't a backpacker destination due to its no-alcohol policy and lack of nightlife, but if you are outdoorsy there are also lots of jungle, mangrove, and water sport activities you can do. I found it to be a subtly beautiful, welcoming place to travel, and was pleasantly surprised with the whole experience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scopolamine: AKA Fairy Dust or Zombie Drug

A White Girl in Hong Kong