Club Tengo Hambre

I knew Mexico City was going to be all about the food, and a bout of food poisoning wasn't going to stop me from eating every street taco in sight. My friends did a pretty good job of showing me around but when I heard about Club Tengo Hambre, I booked a ticket immediately. Club Tengo Hambre does unique food tours around cities all over the region.

Club Tengo Hambre's Instagram looks so tasty

My tour guide Mariana and I at the starting point-
the Palacio de Bellas Artes

I opted for a Wednesday tour, and it ran from 11:00 AM until 2:30 PM. We made 8 stops in total and tried a diverse range of Mexican food- quesadillas, different salsas, tacos, Oaxacan snacks, chorizos, squash stew, blue and yellow corn, insects, street food and market food. I had a bit of a stomach bug so I had to skip out on a few of the stops but I wrote everything down and so I could return later and make recommendations to friends.

Mariana explaining the origins of this chorizo to the group

Brisket simmering away ready to be stuffed in tacos

When I said I needed a piñata for a friend's birthday, 
our guide helped me find this in one of the markets we visited

Mariana introduced us to a lot of cool places I might have overlooked on my own. Tongue tacos? Not something I would normally order on my own from a random stand on a street corner, but this turned out to be one of the most delicious stops of the tour. Sure, you can wander and try random foods in Mexico City, but having a guide meant that I learned so much more about the families who ran the stands, where the food came from, and the stories behind the food. Our guide really knew her shit, and was friendly with all the people we encountered in each stop of the food tour.

We got to try different flavored crickets and grasshoppers

Refreshments along the way

Trying mamé for the first time-
a sweet and starchy fruit

This particular tour was pricey at a whopping 90 USD, but I personally found it worth every penny. Learning about local food is a big part of the travel experience for me. I've taken cooking classes in Vietnam, Malaysia, and Thailand, and the cuisine in Mexico is radically different from the food I've grown accustomed to whilst living in Asia. I left Club Tengo Hambre feeling like I had a better grasp of the local food landscape, and I had a lot of fun along the way, which was the whole point, really.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scopolamine: AKA Fairy Dust or Zombie Drug

A White Girl in Hong Kong